IL-AFLAN provides civil legal services across Illinois. It is a network of more than 10 legal aid organizations and law school clinics.
Its key features and eligibility requirements include:
- A statewide hotline that provides legal information, advice, brief services (including the preparation and review of legal documents), and referrals to veterans, service members, national guard, reservists, and their spouses and dependents. The hotline acts as the hub of the network.
- Uniform eligibility guidelines: 80% of Chicago Area Median Income (applies statewide), no dishonorable discharges, spouse or dependent can’t use services in legal action adverse to veteran/service member.
- CALL 855-IL-AFLAN (855-452-3526) TO TALK TO AN ATTORNEY if you are a veteran, service member, national guard, reservist, or spouse or dependent. Call to talk about discharge upgrades, benefits appeals, and civil legal problems like Family, Housing, and Consumer issues.
- Please call when you have time to talk with an attorney and any relevant documents in front of you. On average, you will be speaking to an attorney in about five minutes. If wait times are unusually long you will be prompted to arrange a call-back after waiting for 10 minutes. You will never wait more than 10 minutes.
Need Help with Non-Legal Issues?
- Contact Illinois Joining Forces. IJF can connect you with veteran support communities, care coordination, and services for women veterans. Request assistance online or by calling 833-INFO-IJF.
- If you or a loved one is in crisis, please call or text the Veterans Crisis Line for free, confidential assistance at 1-800-273-8255
Illinois Attorney General's Military and Veterans Rights Bureau
- The Illinois Attorney General's Military and Veterans Rights Bureau can assist with violations of the Illinois Service Member Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (ISERRA), with consumer scams, and with benefits issues. Please visit their website for a request for assistance form, as well as brochures and fact sheets about your rights: https://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/rights/veterans.html